I’m one week into my three-week Marathon Taper. The mid-week 10 milers and 20 mile long runs are a distant memory, and my enforced rest has left me chomping at the bit. Maybe it’s the fact that I just finished re-reading Chris McDougall’s excellent ‘Born to Run‘ (one of my top-five books. Ever.) Or perhaps it was Matt Long’s ‘The Long Run‘ (also a great read…wow!). But I have some pretty fun goals for 2012. Since I can’t yet share them with my family (for fear of strike) or my friends (for fear of that they’ll commit me), I thought I’d post them here.
- Run 3:30 in the Suntrust Richmond Marathon. This race kicked my tail nine years ago, when I attempted to run it (too fast) a month after the Chicago Marathon (sore legs). I paid dearly for my hubris…dropped out at mile 13, and spent nine hours in agony on the floor of my bathroom (I’ll spare the details, just google hyponatremia). If all goes as planned this year (and with marathoning, you know that’s a big IF), I should be able to pull off a 3:40 (~8:24 pace). I’ve actually paced my long runs at 8 minutes/mile, which would put me just under a 3:30 finish if I can avoid The Wall. It will be interesting to see how this plays out on Nov. 12.
- Volunteer at a race for the first time! I love, love, love those folks who help out at races. I can’t wait to watch the action from the other side.
- First Ultra. 50K. With a friend. Awesome.
- Shamrock. Have a good friend and running buddy who will hopefully make her marathon debut here. Fully intend to be there to support her.
- Rumor has it that a Half Ironman is coming to Richmond, VA. If I can work up the nerve to log the hours on my road bike I’m in. Don’t get me wrong — I actually LOVE cycling, and border on an obsessed fan at times. But since I had children I’ve lost my nerve, and get really edgy having to share the road with cars and buses. Need to find a cycling group and squash these negative thoughts…
- Richmond again, but that’s just a warm up to…(drum roll please)….
- The JFK 50 miler.